Creative markers can brand anything, and so can you. Any product or service can feature a catchy name, slogan and/or logo.
As I traveled last week to Dallas to speak about trademarks at the Software Industry Conference, I was thinking about well marketed cities and states, and their trademark slogans. Note the difference between a common nickname, versus a marketing slogan that was developed, promoted and protected.
Here are some of the more well known ones (click links for USPTO records):
- WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS STAYS IN VEGAS
- Nickname: SIN CITY
- KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD
- I (heart) NY
- Nickname: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
- Nickname: THE BIG APPLE
- THE LITTLE APPLE – Manhattan, KS
- DON’T MESS WITH TEXAS
- (nickname incorporated into a logo)
- VIRGINIA IS FOR LOVERS
- Nickname: GATEWAY TO THE MIDWEST
- Nickname: BEANTOWN
- Nickname: SUNSHINE STATE
- Nickname: HOTLANTA
And one that I have helped protect:
- THE LITTLE CITY (Falls Church, VA) – pending application
Are their others that you like? Let us know in the comments.
Lesson: If a good slogan can help a city or state promote itself, imagine what it can do for your business!