My wife loves to let me know when TMZ.com features stories relating to trademarks! Last night she asked if I knew that Lebron James and Michael Jordan has been sued for millions by a company called Lebron Jordan Inc. So I had to investigate the details!
[image from lebronjordan.com]
– TMZ story here
– The complaint filed on Monday in U.S. District Court (Eastern District of N.Y.) is below. The complaint is short on details, but alleges that after receiving several cease and desist letters, the Lebron Jordan Inc. company lost a big licensing deal.
– Related materials:
- January 10, 2011 press release from Lebron Jordan Inc. about their 2012 line of shoes (which indicates that there were 2010 and 2011 lines)
- SportingNews.com article on Lebron Jordan Inc.’s receipt of a cease and desist letter from Nike
- LEBRON USPTO registration for footwear owned by Nike
- AIR JORDAN USPTO registration for footwear owned by Nike
The brand names “Lebron” and “Jordan” are rather well known, and have been used to sell millions of sneakers. Unless “Lebron Jordan Inc.” somehow has priority of use, I’m not sure their complaint is going to get close to the rim. It is hardly a slam dunk.
[scribd id=50328382 key=key-28x61pjktpt7g2op51l2 mode=list]