Blog

Last week, I received a new scam solicitation – see below for the actual letter – from UPTS (Universal Patents and Trademark Service).

Why this is a scam, in my humble opinion:

• The name sounds like “USPTO.”
  • The service offered – “Registration of the International Trademark” – does not exist. There is no such thing as a single international registration for a trademark. And the “registration” offered by this service is certainly not with any government entity.
  • The service offered has negligible – if any value. I’m not aware of any trademark professional who has ever consulted the UPTS’ directory of trademarks.
  • “Registration” or listing in the UPTS carries negligible – if any – legal or practical benefit to those who pay for it.
  • The cost in relation to the value of service is ridiculous.

If you have been harmed by this scam, or a similar solicitation, it is recommended that you contact the USPTO, the FTC, and your local attorney general to notify them.

FireShot Screen Capture #102 - 'UPTS' - www_upts_org

UPTS Trademark Scam

14 Responses
  1. patricia pesti says:

received the same, never asked for! it looks like scam

2. euphemia says:

i have received the same some days ago. now i will contact the USPTO, thanks for your article, i found few results by google search with this UPTS scam.

3. Tanya says:

We just received this same letter at my place of work. It’s definitely a scam. I’m a little shocked to see that it’s been going on for over six months.

4. Trey1 says:

Thanks for putting this up. I received an almost identical letter just last week asking for $2192.54 to be sent to an account in the Czech Republic. Found this mention with a quick search, helping confirm this is a scam.

5. Ross says:

We received one today fro UPTS invoice amount of $2,485.08 from Czech Republic
    TOTAL SCAM!!!!!
    Watch out for this type of invoice!!!

6. C says:

We received the same solicitation. It looks quite real and I’d say they catch a few people out. Thank you for your clear explanation, which confirmed my thoughts. I agree with your analysis 100%.

7. LSG says:

It is a scam. I received 3 of these on the same day, all shortly after I completed my Trademark. The other two companies are – IP Data and WIPT. The costs were all similar ($2300-2700) Interestingly enough, all suggested wiring the money to banks in Czech Republic. I assume they get enough companies that actually pay to make it worth sending the letters.

8. Jamie says:

Got this too but mine said to renew. I just order it less than a year ago lol. It does look real if you don’t read it. I didn’t pay even a 3rd of what they want to charge though to get it in the first place lol

9. Yvonne says:

Received a notice for $2,588.43. Garbage solicitation! In the small print: “This document serves primarily as a draft contract.”

10. Deanna says:

We received the same letter. Thanks for posting.

11. Helen says:

We just received similar letters from IP Data and UPTS for $2,327 and $2,546.75, both requesting wire transfers to the Czech Republic. Thanks for posting this and helping us confirm that it is indeed a scam.

12. Lynn says:

Received letter/invoice today from UPTS. for $2,206.72 payable to a Slovak bank. Looked like a scam so googled the name and found your blog. My suspicions were confirmed. thank you!

13. Tricia says:

Received three letters yesterday, from three different scam entities all in the Czech Republic, all asking for over $2K for registration of international trademark. The entities are called – WPTS (World Patent & Trademark Service), RPT Servis and IPTO (International Patent & Trademark Organization.