Last week, I received a new scam solicitation – see below for the actual letter – from UPTS (Universal Patents and Trademark Service).
Why this is a scam, in my humble opinion:
- The name sounds like “USPTO.”
- The service offered – “Registration of the International Trademark” – does not exist. There is no such thing as a single international registration for a trademark. And the “registration” offered by this service is certainly not with any government entity.
- The service offered has negligible – if any value. I’m not aware of any trademark professional who has ever consulted the UPTS’ directory of trademarks.
- “Registration” or listing in the UPTS carries negligible – if any – legal or practical benefit to those who pay for it.
- The cost in relation to the value of service is ridiculous.
If you have been harmed by this scam, or a similar solicitation, it is recommended that you contact the USPTO, the FTC, and your local attorney general to notify them.