Protecting a trademark has some of the characteristics of running a marathon. Here’s why:
- You need to prepare in advance:
- Trademark: Pick a unique name, perform a clearance search.
- Running: exercise, train, eat properly in advance.
- Proper fundamentals are helpful:
- Trademark: a good name is much easier to protect in the short term and the long term.
- Running: proper striding and technique is key the longer you are running.
- Doing it yourself is much more difficult than with a “coach”
- Trademark: using an attorney improves your chances of registration and is likely to reduce your overall risk
- Running: some guidance in training and getting in shape
- The race is long:
- Trademark: Registration takes about 1 year on average. Trademark protection can last for years – or longer.
- Running: 26.2 miles is a long way unless you are superhuman!
Whether you are running or protecting your trademark. some of the same ingredients are needed for success, like endurance, strength, passion, confidence, and avoid injuries.