As noted here frequently, pop culture can often drive trademark filings. Caitlyn Jenner, formerly Bruce Jenner, has certainly been in the news a lot recently, including a much-discussed Vanity Fair cover. And in recent weeks, multiple “Caitlyn” trademark application filings have been made at the USPTO. It is unclear which, if any, of these applicants have written agreements with Caitlyn Jenner.
Click marks below for USPTO records:
- I AM CAITLYN filed by E! Entertainment Television, LLC for “Entertainment services in the nature of television and multimedia program series featuring subjects of general human interest distributed via various platforms across multiple forms of transmission media; providing entertainment information to others via a global computer network”
- CAITLYN JENNER filed by Leon Youngblood for Entertainment in the nature of an ongoing special variety, news, music or comedy show featuring * broadcast over television, satellite, audio, and video media; Entertainment services, namely, providing ongoing television programs in the field of * via a global computer network; Tops for PANT, SUITS, DRESSES, BATHING SUITS, HATS
- CALLL ME CAITLYN filed by A.R. IMPORTS, LLC for “fragrances and cosmetics”
- HER BY CAITLYN filed by A.R. IMPORTS, LLC for “fragrances and cosmetics”
- CAITLYN filed by A.R. IMPORTS, LLC for “fragrances and cosmetics”
- FREE BY CAITLYN filed by A.R. IMPORTS, LLC for “fragrances and cosmetics”
- CAITLYN filed by Home Essentials & Beyond, Inc. for “Serve-ware, drink-ware, and beverage dispensers, made of ceramic and/or glass”
- CAITLYN filed by Lifeguard Licensing Corp. for “Cosmetics, toilet preparations and perfumery products, namely, lipsticks, lip gloss, lip liners, lip balms, lip palettes; eye shadows, eye lining pencils, liquid eye liners, eye makeup, mascara, eyebrow pencils, artificial eyelashes, eye palettes; blushers, multi-use cosmetic sticks, foundation makeup, pressed powder, loose powder, makeup remover, concealers, multi-use colored creams, powders and gels for use on face, cleansers, namely, facial cleansers and skin cleansers; exfoliators, namely, skin and facial exfoliators; moisturizers for the face and body, masks for the face and body, toners, eye creams, skin cleansing wipes; non-medicated skin care creams, lotions, oils, sprays, and gels for the face and body; anti-cellulite and body firming creams, lotions, serums and sprays for the face and body; nail polish, nail enamel, nail polish remover; fragrances for personal use; suncare lotions, bronzers, tanning lotions, sunscreens, self tanners, after sun soothers and rehydrators, namely, sun creams, lotions and gels”
- CAITLYN filed by Lifeguard Licensing Corp. for “Clothing, namely, shirts, t-shirts, long-sleeved shirts, under shirts, polo shirts, night shirts, rugby shirts, jerseys, scrubs not for medical purposes, smocks, dress shirts, culottes, stretch pants, overalls, coveralls, denim jeans, jumpers, jump suits, stretch tops, tube tops, crop tops, tankinis, halter tops, hooded sweat shirts, wraps, warm-up suits, jogging suits, track suits, snow suits, parkas, capes, ponchos, cardigans, pants, jean jackets, cargo pants, shorts, boxer shorts, tops, tank tops, sweat shirts, sweat jackets, sweat shorts, sweat pants, blouses, dresses, sweaters, vests, fleece vests, pullovers, jackets, coats, blazers, suits, turtlenecks, reversible jackets, wind-resistant jackets, shell jackets, sports jackets, golf and ski jackets, heavy coats, over coats, top coats, cloth ski bibs, swimwear, beachwear, tennis wear, surf wear, ski wear, infantwear, swim caps, visors, headbands, ear muffs, neckerchiefs, thermal underwear, long underwear, briefs, bras, panties, thongs, G-strings, singlets, underclothes, night gowns, nighties, lingerie, slips, sarongs, leg warmers, leggings, tights, leotards, caps, hats, headwear, scarves, bandanas, belts, neckwear, ties, underwear, socks, loungewear, robes, pajamas, sleepwear, hosiery, gloves, rain slickers, boots, galoshes, rainwear, footwear, shoes and sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, and slippers”
I imagine the USPTO will deny these applications as identifying a living individual, unless consent in writing is obtained from Caitlyn Jenner. But if any of the applicants have Caitlyn’s written permission, they may be able to register the mark provided that all the other requirements for registration are met.