The World Trade Center complex in New York City recently unveiled a new logo. The complex is made up of the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, One WTC, and Four WTC.
The new logo is one of my favorites. Here is why:
- It is simple in appearance and design, but contains many layers of meaning
- It uses “whitespace” as part of the mark
- It is bold and unique
The many layers of meaning:
- The twin towers
- a pitchfork/trident
- the white in the top half evokes the rays of light displayed on the site of the twin towers
- the black in the lower half evokes the two reflecting pools at the National September 11th Memorial
- the five towers of the new WTC complex
- the letter “W”
- the slope of the top three prongs is at a 17.76 degree angle; One WTC is 1,776 feet tall
A seemingly simple design is layered with amazing meaning. The logo is tremendous as it communicates something important about the brand to the user/public. And as any great logo should be, it has been filed with the USPTO for registration.