Posted by ipelton on: March 2nd, 2015
Last Friday,the Trademark Public Advisory Committee (TPAC) met at the USPTO headquarters in Alexandria, VA. The handouts from the meeting are at the bottom of the post. Below is a summary of the key points discussed at the meeting (while I was not in attendance, associates and intern from the firm were):
This was the first TPAC meeting of Commissioner Mary Boney Dennison since taking her post in January. Three new (or returning for new terms) members were introduced: Jonathan Hudis, Jody Drake, and Tim Lockhart.
Legislative Update – Dana Robert Colarulli (Director, Office of Governmental Affairs)
- Quite a bit of activity (hearings and proposed bills) recently on capitol hill related to IP issues, particularly patent and copyright issues
USPTO Budge Update – Frank Murphy (Deputy Chief Financial Officer)
- Reduction of certain trademark fees implemented January 17, 2015; impact has been anticipated
- FY2016 budget released in February. Includes using some funds from USPTO operating reserves.
- FY2016 includes plans for to hire 37 net trademark examining attorneys.
- FY2016 budget includes a decrease in the IT spending for Trademark Next Generation.
- USPTO is conducting a bienniel review of all its fees, including some proposals to adjust trademark and TTAB fees.
Trademark Operations – Commissioner Dennison
- Application filings thus far in FY2015 are up more than 7% over the prior year
- New trademark application fees and electronic filing option took effect January 17, 2015
- The TM-5 group is working on some new collaborations
- USPTO will be hosting their annual meeting in November
Trademark Trial and Appeal Board – Chief Administrative Trademark Judge Gerard Rogers
- Two recent round tables were held, one on ESTTA and the other on possible rules changes
- A proposal for possible rules changes could be issued in the near future
USPTO TPAC Agenda – February 27, 2015