I am pleased to share the first of my series of new videos. In this video, I speak about three top trademark misunderstandings. Let me know what you think! And thank you to the incomparable client and friend Chad Barr for the video shoot and production!
Posts Tagged ‘video’
Erik Pelton interviewed on “Washington Business Report” about trademarks, branding, and “The Little City”
I live and work in Falls Church, Virginia. A few years ago, the city worked with a renowned ad agency, SmithGifford, create a brand and logo – THE LITTLE CITY®. I helped the City secure registration of the name and logo. And last weekend, I was interviewed on Washington Business Report about “The Little City” brand.
See video here (segment starts at 1:45):
For more about city branding and THE LITTLE CITY® trademark, see:
- You can brand anything… even a city
- The Little City of Falls Church Files Trademark Applications for “THE LITTLE CITY”
When I posted some videos on YouTube about trademark issues, I thought a few dozen people might find them useful. I never imagined that one my videos would have more than 20,000 views!
Are there any topics you would like to see covered in a video? Let me know in the comments.
This week, a YouTube video featuring a goofy woman doing a goofy “prancing” exercise workout exploded virally. The video has more than 3 million views! (See below).
Behind this viral internet sensation, there is is a trademark lesson here as well. The star of the video has properly protected her trademark – well in advance of the media storm this week. Meaning that if someone attempts to copy her brand name now, or register a related domain name or social media username and use it in her field of exercise, she is in a much better position to handle such a dispute. And because she has a registration with the USPTO in place, it would likely make it quicker, easier, and less expensive to resolve any such problems.
The brand is well protected because:
- PRANCERCISE® is registered with the USPTO since 2011 for with ‘physical fitness instruction services’
- See USPTO records here: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85190875&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
- The video begins and ends with a title screen that properly uses the registered trademark symbol alongside the PRANCERCISE® brand name. This is an excellent example of properly using the trademark.
- Her website at www.prancercise.com also uses the trademark registration symbol effectively and prominently.
- A separate page on her website goes into more detail about the trademark rights and proper trademark usage. http://prancercise.com/legal/
The owner of Prancercise – Joanna Rohrback – was ready for her brand’s moment in the sun. Are you?
Our videos featuring trademark information on YouTube are extremely popular. Our video entitled “Common Trademark Application Mistakes” has been viewed more than 10,000 times (and only a few dozen were by my mother!). You can see it below.
Other videos we have made include:
– Ten Essential Trademark Tips
– Non-Traditional Trademarks
– Choosing a Trademark
– Trademark Scams
– 5 Basic Brand Protection Tips for Trademark Owners
– USPTO Trademark Application Process
– 10 Reasons to Register Your Trademark
– Trademark Dilution
For all of our videos, head on over to our YouTube channel: