On Thursday 4/18/13, 4 pm EST, I will present an online
Faculty Focused Community Conversation for the Center for Intellectual Property (CIP)
Program details: This discussion with trademark attorney and former USPTO trademark examiner Erik Pelton will cover basic trademark principals as well as several topics with particular impact on those in higher education, such as ownership issues and overbroad assertions of trademark rights.
For more information about Center for Intellectual Property (CIP), please visit http://www.cipcommunity.org/
Here is a brief outline of some of the topics that will be addressed:
- What is trademark protection?
- Strong vs. weak trademark
- Proper use
- Trademark issues and higher education
- School logos and other marks
- Re-branding (see: UC)
- Interesting marks: mascots, class rings, and more
- Ownership issues
- joint ventures, contracts, etc.
- Trademark bullying
- What is it?
- Penn Law School / Louis Vuitton
- How it impacts the public
- Avoiding backlash