Our mission is to make your intellectual property protection understandable, accessible, and affordable through our cornerstones of great service and flat fees.
On this welcome page, you will find helpful information to familiarize you with our services and team, and helpful resources to introduce you to the wonderful world of trademark protection.
We're a small business too
A few things to know about our work:
- We use our own proprietary custom software to track the status of all client filings as they wind through the USPTO application process. The process takes at least a year on average, and current backlogs at USPTO means that we generally will not receive any update until 6-7 months after an application is submitted.
- We strive to return all calls and emails within one business day. Sometimes deadlines, conferences, community service days, or other circumstances prevent that, but know that we take great pride in being responsive.
- Because we have the privilege of working with so many businesses, Erik can’t always return each call or email personally – but someone on our trusted team at EMP&A will always be working on your matter. Our team is always in communication and collaboration with one another, all under the training and supervision of Erik.
- We have an immense amount of branding and trademark tips and tools gathered from more than a decade of videos, podcasts, blog posts, and more. We’ve highlighted the best content about the most important topics for you at TrademarkiveSM.
EMP&A handles everything related to the trademark and copyright protection process, including:
- Searching and cleaning new names
- Registering at U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Registering internationally
- Defending all aspects of infringement
- Monitoring for infringement
- Helping businesses stop infringements
- Representing parties in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board oppositions, cancellations, and appeals
- Negotiating trademark compromises
- Strategizing on brand creation, use, or redevelopment
- Handling Federal Circuit Court of Appeals cases
Founder & Lead Attorney
Erik is all about energy, whether he’s representing clients, addressing conference
goers, testing his mettle in a triathlon, or wrangling kids on Bike to School Day. His superpower is making complicated subjects clear, using real-world examples to illustrate his points in an engaging way. Erik got his start as a trademark examiner for the USPTO and, in the years since, has grown his law practice with the enduring ideals of customer service, affordability, and clarity. Erik also enjoys working with the next generation of IP lawyers in his role as an adjunct professor at Howard University School of Law. Read more about EMP&A's early days here.
Olivia M. Muller
We want you to be informed as you embark on this “long and winding road” of protecting your trademark.
Our website contains a wealth of continually updated resources to educate you and keep you up to date every step of the way. Here are some links to familiarize yourself:
Erik's Videos >TRICKS OF THE TRADE(MARK)® Podcast >SMAR(tm)ARK® Newsletter >Building a Bold Brand >iPelton Blog >
Be on the lookout for scammers! Click here for more information on this very real and very prevalent topic.