Posted by ipelton on: March 31st, 2017
This weekend marks the final games in the men’s college basketball season the Final Four®. Saturday evening, Gonzaga will play South Carolina in the first semi final, followed by Oregon versus North Carolina. The winners will square off in the final game on Monday evening.
Of the four trademark portfolios, the North Carolina one is by far the most impressive. See details below.
Here are some of the pertinent trademarks for this weekend’s action (click marks/logos for USPTO information):
- The “Bulldogs” name is not registered, presumably because it is not unique.
- But KENNEL CLUB is registered for a variety of goods and services.
- ZAGS – registered for ‘educational services in the nature of courses at university and postgraduate levels; library services; arranging and conducting athletic competitions’
- – registered for a variety of goods and services
SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS
- The name may be strange, but is it unique for athletics.
- COCKS – registered for apparel and more
- GAMECOCKS – registered for clothing and more; in use since 1958
- USC – used since 1890; note that Univ. of Southern California and South Carolina were once in engaged in a lengthy trademark dispute regarding SC logos that went to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
NORTH CAROLINA TAR HEELS
The games will be played at UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX STADIUM registered for ‘Entertainment services, namely providing multi-purpose stadium and athletic field facilities for sporting events, concerts, corporate events, social functions, conventions and trade and consumer shows; information services, namely, providing information relating to sporting and entertainment events and activities by means of the internet.’
Some other pertinent NCAA marks: