Uber last week unveiled a new logo and design package.
The new logo fails for a variety of reasons:
- There was nothing wrong with the old logo. Perhaps just a splash of color added to it would have been nice, but an overhaul was unnecessary.
- The new logo doesn’t communication ANYTHING about the services offered
- The new logo doesn’t even feature a “U.”
- The new logo doesn’t hearken back to the prior logo in any manner.
- The main design is apparently a “bit” of information/technology. But Uber helps people in the physical world primarily. Yes, it is an app and technlogy that makes the help possible, but when I think of Uber I think of cars and rides.
- How is anyone unfamiliar with the brand, upon seeing the logo, supposed to know what business it is for and what they do?
While I dislike the new logo and the decision to change it, there are a few things I do like about it:
- The background designs are subtle and nice and suggest roads or traffic.
- Uber Technologies filed multiple trademark application with the USPTO last week for the new designs and logos.
Altogether, the new design seems unneeded and not a good fit for the brand at this time.