Sunday is the Super Bowl, where the Kansas City Chiefs will take on the San Francisco 49ers in Miami. In addition to the football game, Super Bowl Sunday is all about brands – teams, television networks, advertisers, celebrities, and more. For this year’s game, there will be many valuable and important trademarks on display (click trademarks or images for U.S. Patent and Trademark Office records):
The game will be played at HARD ROCK STADIUM®. The host committee has applied to register the LIVE IT MIAMI slogan.
The National Anthem will be sung by DEMI LOVATO®. The half time show will feature Jennifer Lopez® (JLO®) and SHAKIRA® performing. Lopez’s company owns more than 30 USPTO trademark registrations an applications, including JLUST and the logo below:
Both teams have done a very nice job protecting their brands, with names, logos, fan clubs, mascots, and more registered. And the Niners have a very unique name that ties into the city history.
San Francisco 49ers
- SOURDOUGH SAM® mascot name
- FAITHFUL® fanclub
- QB Jimmy Garoppolo owns 15 trademark applications, including ones for JIMMY G, JIMMYG10, and JG10
- Kicker Robbie Gould owns several trademarks, including the logos below, WIND CITY KICKER, and EVENTLIFY
- Tight End George Kittle owns pending applications for THE PEOPLE’S TIGHT END and NATIONAL TIGHT END DAY
Kansas City Chiefs
- KC WOLF mascot
- mascot head configuration
- RED COATERS community service organization
- Remarkably, star QB Patrick Mahomes has no trademark filings!
- SAMMY WATKINS® registered his name
- Tyrann Mathieu has a pending application SAVAGESZN
- Terrell Suggs, when he played for the Ravens, was involved in several disputes regarding the BALL SO HARD UNIVERSITY mark
NFL and other trademarks: