Now that the Wild Card games are complete, Eight teams remain with a chance to end the 2012 Major League Baseball season as World Series champions.
Of the 4 American League teams, who has the best logo? The best trademarks? [Click trademarks or logos for USPTO records.]
- The Orioles’ logos are quite nice, in my opinion
- The stadium: Camden Yards. The team recently filed to register the slogan “THE BALLPARK THAT FOREVER CHANGED BASEBALL.”
NEW YORK YANKEES
- The Yankees are probably one of the best known sports teams on the planet. You can’t go anywhere without seeing hats featuring the interlocking NY.
- They are also very well protected as trademarks. The stadium design, team nicknames, and even the pinstripe uniform are all registered trademarks.
- BRONX BOMBERS
- “The drawing is a two-dimensional representation of the mark, which consists of the design elements and color combinations appearing on a three-dimensional baseball uniform worn by players in applicant’s games and exhibitions.”
- NEW YORK YANKEES
- YANKEE STADIUM
- THE HOUSE THAT RUTH BUILT
- The “Athletics” name is rather unique, despite being so obvious. They also have a unique elephant logo.
- OAKLAND A’S
- The Tigers name is far from unique in sports. But the “D” is arguably iconic.
- DETROIT TIGERS
Which is best? A very tough decision. Each of the 4 has been around for decades. Overall, I like the Orioles’ logo above the others. They are unique and cheerful. But the Yankees must get credit for taking advantage of the USPTO trademark registration process to register a large portfolio of for a wide variety of goods and services.
Check back tomorrow for my review of the National League teams!