There many fun team names in the field for the 2018 NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament. Below are my favorites, with links (click marks) to their USPTO trademark records.
To me, the most interesting team names are the ones that are unique and quirky. Names like Tigers and Raiders aren’t nearly as exciting
Also note that this list is entirely subjective!
Note that several have not properly protected their trademarks, which is shocking given the amount of money involved in televising tournament, the apparel and other promotional merchandise sold by every team, and that these are institutions of higher education.
- Virginia Cavaliers – bonus: ‘HOOS is registered too
- UMBC Retrievers – unregistered
- Loyola Ramblers
- Xavier Musketeers – unregistered as the university used to own several related registrations, but they were not renewed and cancelled
- St. Bonaventure Bonnies – unregistered
- Iona Gaels – unregistered
- South Dakota State Jackrabbits – on the one hand they are rabbits, on the other hand they sound vicious
- Murrray State Racers – unregistered
- Wichita State Shockers – a reference to harvesting wheat
- Marshall Thundering Herd
- Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks – unregistered
- Purdue Boilermakers – very unique and distinctive
- Penn Quakers – unregistered; the university owns more than 150 trademark registrations, but none with “Quaker”
Here are some of the overall NCAA trademarks related to basketball (click for USPTO information):