The following is an edited transcript of our video The Importance of International Trademark Registration.
We are often asked, “Why should I apply to register my trademark in other countries?”
- Most countries around the world have a first-to-file system, which means that you’re not required to show that you are using the mark in that country to be able to register your mark.
- Registering your trademark in other countries can protect your reputation in those countries, and can ultimately increase the value of your brand.
- You have the option to use international agreements to obtain protection in more than one country, and in some cases, if you do it within a certain period of time, you can claim priority to when you first file your application with the USPTO.
How do you know if you’re ready to apply for protection in other countries?21
- If you have an online business and you’re offering products or services that are going to be long term.
- If you have an international presence or plans for international expansion.
- If you’re not currently offering your goods in different countries, but it is likely that your goods will be counterfeited in certain countries.