The Buffalo Niagara Visitor’s Bureau recently unveiled a new slogan for the city: Buffalo For Real. The new slogan is, like those slogans of many cities and regions, meant to attract business and tourism to the area.
Slogans for cities can be important to their branding efforts and, in my opinion, can affect the image of a place and the amount of visitors it attracts.
For example, these are some of the best known slogans:
- What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas (Las Vegas, NV)
- I ♥ NY (New York, New York)
- Virginia is for Lovers
Buffalo has been the butt of jokes for a long time. Its cold. Its far away. Its next to Canada. That is why I love the new slogan. Its modern and catchy – using the popular phrase “for real” – and it evokes a few messages that are all positive. You could go to Buffalo. For real. And the people there are real – it is a working class town. And its a place with real history.
There is only one problem I have with the new slogan: the visitor’s bureau has not yet filed to register it with the USPTO!
• “Buffalo For Real” hitting its mark – Buffalo Business First
• “Buffalo For Real” campaign takes stage – Buffalo Business First
• Buffalo. For Real – Buffalo Rising
• catchword, an excellent naming blog, does not exactly agree with me.