To my fellow IP attorneys, I offer this free marketing advice with 5 simple tips:
- If you have a blog, keep it updated. Otherwise, remove it from your website – it makes you look stale and out of touch. If you last post is a year in review from 2013….. you get the point.
- Use a monthly or quarterly e-newsletter to stay in touch with your clients, they will appreciate it, and your name and contact information will be at their fingertips more frequently. You will increase repeat business as a result.
- If you have icons on your webpage for Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or any similar social media service, those links should go to your page on the service. If you do not have a Twitter feed, do not have a Twitter/link icon on your website. That broken effort makes you look more out of touch than a page with no social media links would.
- Practice what you preach: do you have copyright notices on your content? Have you filed to protect your firms logo or slogan trademarks with the USPTO?
- Don’t be afraid to provide tips and advice in your blog and newsletters. Providing some advice does not mean that perspective clients do not need your services and can do it alone. It does show that you are knowledgeable and relevant, and it demonstrates that the subjects are complex and nuanced and your experience and insight is valuable.
Share this blog post >