Slogans are power tools to tell consumers about your brand. The best slogans are fun, memorable, catchy, and communicate something important or unique about the brand. Slogans can be registered and protected as trademarks just like brand names and logos.
For example, our firm’s slogans:
- Making trademarks bloom since 1999®
- Experience is our trademark. Trademark is our experience.®
- The nontraditional Trademark lawyers®
Here are the key steps in creating, launching, and protecting a new slogan:
– Decide on the the message that the slogan should convey to customers.
– Brainstorm possible slogan ideas that relate to the intended message. Settle on ideal slogan.
– Search to make sure no one was using a similar slogan in the appropriate field of business, and search the USPTO trademark records to make sure no one has registered or filed for anything similar. (Consult an attorney for best search options and analysis.)
– Apply to register the slogan with the the USPTO.
– Begin use of the slogan with proper trademark symbol (SM or TM).
Here, in no particular order, are some of my favorite slogans. I think they are all effective and each one possesses most or all of key qualities I described above. (Click slogans for link to USPTO records.)
|What would you do for a Klondike bar?||Klondike|
|Snap, Crackle, Pop||Rice Krispies|
|There are some things money can’t buy. For everything else there’s Mastercard||MasterCard|
|Don’t just watch TV. DirectTV. (pending application)||DirecTV|
|The quicker picker-upper.||Bounty|
|If you don’t get it, you don’t get it||Washington Post|
|Sometimes you feel like a nut… sometimes you don’t…||Mounds/ Almond Joy|
|You’re in good hands with Allstate||Allstate|
|Good to the last drop||Maxwell House|
|It’s not TV. It’s HBO||HBO|
|It takes a licking and keeps on ticking||Timex|
|I’m lovin’ it||McDonald’s|
|Melts in your mouth, not in your hand||M&M’s|
|Don’t Leave Home Without It||American Express|
|Pardon Me, But Do You Have any Grey Poupon?||Grey Poupon|
|The Curiously Strong Mints||Altoids|
|Think Outside the Bun||Taco Bell|
|PROTECT THIS HOUSE||Under Armour|
The St. Louis Library’s slogan ST LOUIS’ ORIGINAL SEARCH ENGINE is also wonderful. It reminds younger generations that everything you need to look up (or could look up at one time) is in that great library. And that you can explore and find many amazing things in those pages inside the library!