Last week, Twitter and newspapers and social media went wild when the president used COVFEFE in a late-night tweet. Within a day, nine applications were filed at the USPTO for marks including COVFEFE. Most will never become registered trademarks – because they won’t function, or there will be conflicts.
The filings include several for clothing, but also beer, coffee, and investment advice.
As with most pop culture trends, trademarks filings will mirror the trends.
- Dak Prescott: sports and pop culture again leads to rash of trademark filings
- Exploring the “Fidget Spinner” boom in trademarks
- Trademark filings continue to follow pop culture: Tim Tebow mania
- Linsanity: pop culture again leads to rash of trademark filings
- Trademark filings once again follow pop culture trends: Cecil the lion
- Trademark filings continue to follow pop culture: GANGNAM STYLE one year later
- Trademark filings follow pop culture: Five recent filings for “POLAR VORTEX”