Tonight, at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona, Clemson and Alabama will face off in the “College Football Playoff National Championship presented by AT&T.” There are many trademarks involved in the events, from the teams to the stadiums to the playoffs themselves (at least according BCS Properties, LLC, the entity that owns and controls them).
Here are some of the more interesting trademarks involved in these games (click name or images to open USPTO records):
UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX STADIUM registered for ‘Entertainment services, namely providing multi-purpose stadium and athletic field facilities for sporting events, concerts, corporate events, social functions, conventions and trade and consumer shows; information services, namely, providing information relating to sporting and entertainment events and activities by means of the internet.’
- Did you know that CLEMSON is registered by the University for “packaged blue cheese“
- registered for a variety of goods
- DABO SWINNEY – registered for clothing
- DABO’S ALL IN TEAM – registered for charitable fundraising services and shirts
- DABO – registered for clothing
- ROLL TIDE – registered for variety of goods
- (pending application)
- (The mark consists of the trade dress comprising the color combination of crimson red and white, the crimson red as applied to the outer surface of the helmet and the white as a stripe running from front to back along the center of the helmet.)
- HOUNDSTOOTH MAFIA – pending application from Univ. of Alabama for ‘Bumper stickers; Magnetic bumper stickers; Stickers; Stickers and transfers’ (NOTE: also the subject of a dispute that was lost by the University, then appealed, then settled, and still ongoing as to whether the TTAB must vacate its opinion)
- BAMA – registered for a variety of goods
- ALABAMA – registered for a variety of goods
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA – registered for “EDUCATIONAL SERVICES, NAMELY, UNIVERSITY UNDERGRADUATE, GRADUATE, EXTENSION, AND COMMUNITY EDUCATION, PUBLIC LECTURES, AND WORKSHOPS, SEMINARS, AND CONFERENCES; ENTERTAINMENT SERVICES, NAMELY, SPORTS EXHIBITIONS, THEATRICAL PRODUCTIONS, PUBLIC LECTURES, ART EXHIBITIONS, MUSICAL CONCERTS, DANCE AND BALLET PERFORMANCES, AND MOTION PICTURE EXHIBITIONS” and a variety of goods
- Two fan applications that were filed but have been abandoned:
- In March 2013, BCS Properties filed to register COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF. Seems like it might be generic to me! Note that they abandoned the application in 2015.
- They later filed for PLAYOFF SEMIFINAL. Even more generic?! That application was also abandoned.
- BCS Properties was successful in register the logo for both entertainment services and a whole host of merchandise including mugs, wallets, video games, and key chains.