There a lot of fun team names in the field for the 2016 NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament. Below are my favorites, with links (click images or marks) to their USPTO trademark records.
Note how many have not properly protected their trademarks, which is shocking given the amount of money involved in televising tournament, the apparel and other promotional merchandise sold by every team, and that these are institutions of higher education.
- Austin Peay Governors
- South Dakota State Jackrabbits
- Hawaii Rainbow Warriors – logo is protected, but not the team name
- Vanderbilt Commodores
- Holy Cross Crusaders
- Green Bay Phoenix
- Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners
- Providence Friars
- Chattanooga Mocs
- Stony Brook Sea Wolves
- Steven F. Austin Lumberjacks
- Xavier Musketeers – name was registered but expired!
- Hampton Pirates
- Purdue Boilermakers
- Iona Gaels – unregistered
- Utah Utes – unregistered
- Dayton Flyers
- Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders – logo with name was registered but expired!