I received the offer below related to a trademark registration for ERIK PELTON®. The offer is misleading in many ways:
- It is not from the government, despite the “Bureau” name.
- It is misleading and false: The registration is not going to expire on the “Renewal Date” indicated.
- It is not accurate — The “Renewal Date” is not Sept. 3, 2018. Rather, a Section 8 declaration of continued use is due by September 3, 2019 (plus there is a 6 month grace period after that).
- It is not clear what services are provided.
As a result of their use of the name “Patent & Trademark Office,” this solicitation is striking. On top of that, the services offered and the costs indicated are questionable.
Their “fee” of $925 is not cheap. And it is not clear what services they provide? Is this a Section 8 renewal, or 8 and 15? Do they provided legal advice about which renewal is appropriate, and whether the mark is in use or in use for all the goods and services in the registration? Are they attorneys and members of the bar? Do they review specimens of use to opine on their acceptability. Do they inform clients about the USPTO’s post-registration audit program? Why doesn’t their website provide any information about the people who perform the services, and their experience and qualifications?
If this was a legitimate service at a reasonable value, why would they mask who they are, and why would they choose the clearly deceptive name of “Patent & Trademark Office”? Why would their address have moved at least 4 times in recent years, most recently to 1500 Market Street, 12th Floor, East Tower in Philadelphia, PA, which appears to be a Regus office space?!
Perhaps the USPTO should be working with Regus to help stop scammers from using their address services?
I suggest that anyone affected by this issue write to the USPTO, the FTC, and the Post Office and urge them to move more quickly and more forcibly to bring an end to these scams.
- U.S. Postal Inspection Service: https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/filecomplaint.aspx
- USPTO Office of the Solicitor: http://www.uspto.gov/about-us/organizational-offices/office-general-counsel/office-solicitor
- Federal Trade Commission complaints: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
For more information, see: