The NFL playoffs began last weekend. As I have written before, the NFL is the king of branding for a variety of reasons and is likely among the five most powerful (and rich) brands in America today. But don’t get me started on issues related to enforcement of the Super Bowl® trademark, which the NFL has taken too far.
But among the NFL teams and players active in this year’s playoffs are a variety of interesting and fun trademarks. Here are some of my favorites (click mark/logo for USPTO records):
- RL52 – Ray Lewis has announced he is retiring after this year. RL52 is registered for Dietary and nutritional supplements; Dietary and nutritional supplements for endurance sports; Fleece pullovers; Headwear; Hooded sweat shirts; Long-sleeved shirts; Short-sleeved shirts; Sweaters.
- – registered by Lewis for “Business consulting, management, planning and supervision; advice in running establishments as franchises; and brand evaluation services”
- GET GRONK’D and GRONK NATION – owned by Gronk Nation, with statement “The name(s), portrait(s), and/or signature(s) shown in the mark identifies Robert Gronkowski, Christopher Gronkowski, Daniel Gronkowski, whose consent(s) to register is made of record.“
- PURPLE – registered by the Ravens for fan club
- but EVERYTHING PURPLE is registered by the VIKINGS for “Entertainment services, namely, presentations in the nature of professional football games and exhibitions”
- and BLUE – registered by the Colts for “Entertainment services in the nature of personal appearances by a costumed mascot at football games and exhibitions, clinics, promotions, and other football-related events, special events, charity events and parties”
- BELIEVE – registered by “entertainment in the nature of professional football games”
- COLTSTRONG – pending application from the Cols for ” “entertainment in the nature of professional football games”
- TROPHY TOWN – registered by Kraft Group (New England Patriots) for clothing and hats
- TITLETWON TOWEL – registered by Packers for towels
- SHOW YOUR HORNS – registered by Vikings for “Entertainment services, namely, presentations in the nature of professional football games and exhibitions” and other good
- VIKTOR THE VIKING – registered by Vikings for “personal appearances by a professional football mascot”
- THE GULCH – registered by the Falcons for “Entertainment services, namely, organizing festivals for fans of a professional football team featuring a variety of activities” and other services
- FAITHFUL – registered by the 49ers for entertainment in the form of professional football games and exhibitions
- BEAST MODE – registered by Marshawn Lynch for “men’s, women’s and children’s clothing, namely, shirts, sweatshirts; headwear, namely, hats, caps”
- T-SIZZLE – several pending applications from Terrell Suggs, including this one for “entertainment services, namely, personal appearances by a sports celebrity“
- BALL SO HARD UNIVERSITY – another pending application from Suggs
- RG3 and RGIII – pending applications from Robert Griffin III for clothing
- BLITZ – registered by Seahawks for “Entertainment services in the nature of a team mascot for a professional football team; public appearances by a mascot, both live and via broadcast over television, cable, satellite and/or worldwide web”
- – registered by Seahawks for “entertainment services in the nature of a team mascot for a professional football team; public appearances by a mascot, both live and via broadcast over television, cable, satellite and/or worldwide web”
- FIRST LADIES OF FOOTBALL – registered by Redskins for “entertainment services in the nature of cheerleaders at professional football games and exhibitions and other personal appearances,” and other goods and services
What is your favorite NFL trademark?