This year, the Grateful Dead are celebrating 50 years of playing music with special concerts and a forthcoming documentary directed by Martin Scorsese. The Grateful Dead, in my opinion, have been marketing geniuses for decades, and they were building communities and “social media” long before Facebook. They have also had good attorneys; their USPTO trademark registrations date back 41 years.
Below are some of the band’s trademark registrations. Stay tuned tomorrow for some third party “Dead inspired” trademarks….
Here are some of the Grateful Dead registered U.S. trademarks:
- GRATEFUL DEAD – ENTERTAINMENT SERVICES-NAMELY, PUBLIC APPEARANCES BY A MUSICAL AND VOCAL GROUP
- DEAD HEAD – HATS, T-SHIRTS; STICKERS, BUMPER STICKERS, AND DECALS; Metal license plates and non-luminous and non-mechanical metal signs
- THE DEAD – LIVE PERFORMANCES OF A MUSICAL GROUP; MUSICAL SOUND RECORDINGS; and more
- DEAD.NET – computer services, namely, providing access time to computer databases, business and advertising in the field of music and entertainment by means of a global computer network
- – Clothing, namely T-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, hats, caps, headwear, and socks; and more
And band member side projects:
- – musical sound recordings and pre-recorded audio tapes, records, compact discs, and digital recordings featuring music
- J. GARCIA – Prerecorded audio and video goods featuring music and musical entertainment, namely phonograph records, analog and digital tapes and cassettes, analog and digital discs, compact discs, CDs, mini-discs, digital video discs, DVDs, laser discs, video discs, and CD-ROMs; downloadable audio and video recordings featuring music and musical entertainment; multimedia software recorded on CD, CD-ROM, DVD and digital recording media featuring musical entertainment; motion picture films featuring musical entertainment
- RATDOG – [featuring Bob Weir] ENTERTAINMENT SERVICES IN THE NATURE OF A LIVE MUSICAL GROUP
- 7 WALKERS – [featuring Bill Kreutzmann] Entertainment services, namely, live music concerts and concert tours; music publishing services; music fan club services; entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer database featuring nondownloadable prerecorded music, musical performances, musical videos, related music video clips and music films, and multimedia materials featuring music; providing an on-line computer database featuring information regarding a musical group, namely, nondownloadable graphics, information about the musical performers, news, reviews, photographs, schedules of tours, schedules of travel, schedules of live and prerecorded musical performances, schedules of releases of sound recordings, schedules of releases of video recordings, schedules of releases of digital recordings, schedules of releases of multi-media software, schedules of releases of collectible goods and printed matter merchandise