Professional quarterbacks in the NFL are often the face of their franchise – the highest paid and featured in the most commercials. Many successful quarterbacks are therefore “brands” for endorsements and more. Which NFL quarterbacks recognize their branding power and have sought registration of trademarks?
Here are the ones I could find (click marks for USPTO record). If I have missed any, let me know. Other than, Tebow, of course – he is not on a current roster.
- (Tom Brady) – registered for Clothing, namely, hats and shirts
- KAEPERNICKING (Colin Kapernick) – registered for shirts [Note: Kaepernick also owns several other pending applications]
- (Aaron Rodgers) – registered for Endorsement services, namely, promoting the goods and services of others [Rodgers also owns a standard character registration for AARON RODGERS.]
- JOE FLACCO – registered for apparel and variety of services including ‘Entertainment in the nature of competitions in the field of athletics; Entertainment in the nature of football games; Entertainment in the nature of football games; Entertainment services, namely, participation in promoting charities; Entertainment services, namely, personal appearances by a football player’
- CAM NEWTON – Newton owns several pending applications, including this one for variety of goods and ‘Entertainment services, namely, organization of exhibitions for cultural purposes; training services in the field of football, athletic conditioning and fitness; entertainment services, namely, organizing of sports competitions; entertainment services, namely, personal appearances by a sports celebrity; operation of sports camps’
- (Tony Romo) – Registered by Rawlings for footballs
- ROBERT GRIFFIN III and RG3 and RGIII – (Robert Griffin III) pending applications for apparel. The quarterback also as pending applications for several of his catchphrases.
Which quarterback has the best brand? Which quarterbacks should protect their name, but have not?
- Colin Kaepernick had a busy week: leading 49ers to the Super Bowl and applying to register 6 trademarks
Trademark filings continue to follow pop culture: Tim Tebow mania