In recent years, the number of trademark application filings has increased at a small but stead rate. Is that trend reversing? In the first three months of 2013, there were less application filings than the same period last year. However, there were more filings in the first quarter than in the last three months of 2012.
New trademark application filings at the USPTO:
- First 3 months of 2013: 76,409 new applications filed
- First 3 months of 2012: 80,724 new applications filed
- First 3 months of 2011: 76,875 new applications filed
- Last 3 months of 2012: 72, 457 new applications filed
- Last 3 months of 2011: 72,461 new applications filed
[Note: All data retrieved via TESS search on USPTO.gov on April 12, 2013]