The Dallas Cowboys are off to a 6-1 start this year behind rookie quarterback Rayne Dakota “Dak” Prescott. Prescott was not expected to be the starting QB coming out of Mississippi State and being selected 135th is last year’s draft by the Cowboys. But now that he is starting in place of injured Tony Romo, and the Cowboys are off to an excellent start, trademark filings demonstrate the draw of a popular sports figure.
Much like Tim Tebow, Jeremy Lin, and others with flashes of fame and greatness, trademark applications seeking to create brands that take advantage of the athlete’s celebrity or pop culture trend have been filed. The following DAK trademarks have been filed this year (click marks for USPTO records)
Note that none of the applications appear to have been filed by Dak Prescott, and all may be refused by the USPTO for identifying a living individual without his or her consent.
- Trademark filings continue to follow pop culture: Tim Tebow mania
- Linsanity: pop culture again leads to rash of trademark filings
- Trademark filings once again follow pop culture trends: Cecil the lion
- Trademark filings continue to follow pop culture: GANGNAM STYLE one year later
- Trademark filings follow pop culture: Five recent filings for “POLAR VORTEX”