It has been a little while since I’ve seen a WTMR, LLC scam mailing. But a client forwarded this “WTMR 2022 OFFER” letter to me last week. The services are worthless. The $980.00 is a scam. The address listed in PO Box 22546 in Fort Lauderdale, FL 33335-2546.
Their address has changed several times over the years.
- See 2018: Beware of scam from WTMR – World Trademark Register
- See 2021: Beware of latest trademark scam from WTMR, LLC
The “Word Trademark Register” is not any official database or directory. It has no real benefits. It was essentially created for the purpose of taking people’s money. According to their website, “Our main business activity is to publish the World TradeMark Register Catalog, which is an annual, unofficial, international catalog of registered trademarks.” In essence, they acknowledge the directory has no real value or purpose.
I have never once met a trademark attorney that uses such directories for any searches or other purposes, or one recommends to his or her clients that they pay these fees. The address provided is a shared virtual office space.
Don’t be taken for this scam to the tune of $980.00 USD.
Beware of such scams. Read the fine print. Contact your attorney. Report scams to the FTC and USPTO.
For more information, see:
- How to avoid being taken by a trademark scam
- WARNING: Non-USPTO Solicitations That May Resemble Official USPTO Communications
- Is This A Trademark Scam?®
- Decision tree: Is This A Trademark Scam?